As I have pointed out in the past, as an amateur DIY’er, even the simplest project has these little unknown difficulties that pop up. Interestingly enough, the more difficult the project, the more rewarding it is when it’s done! So while my latest project of replacing the kitchen light had a lot of little things pop up, I am very pleased with the finished product.
The old light in our kitchen was one of those (in my opinion) hideous fluorescent light fixtures. My wife and I decided that a new set of lighting in the kitchen would help improve the space. Now begins the colorful journey!
So…the easy part first. Taking off the cover and taking out the bulbs was a piece of cake. Took no longer than a couple minutes. Next, I had to unscrew the connections and take down the frame(?). This was a little tougher and I needed some help from my wife. Nonetheless, the light came down easily. But…
…A few unfortunate surprises. The mounting screws left holes on either side of the cord entry, behind the mount was not painted during a remodel, and the cords were pulled through a small whole in the ceiling. 🙁
So this means that 1) I have to plug the holes in the ceiling 2) Paint the ceiling, and (the BIG ONE) 3) I have to create a bigger hole, and install an “old work” ceiling box.
Plugging the holes in the ceiling was easy enough. I just got some putty and a little mesh to help hold the putty in place. I let it dry and sanded it down. Installing the box was a little more complicated. First I had to cut a new hole in the ceiling with a hand saw (being careful not to cut into any studs), and then I had to install the box. After that was done, installing the actual light was simple enough. After it was up, because of a busy couple weeks, I didn’t get around to the second round of sanding and painting until later. But better late than never.
Overall, I am very satisfied with the end product! This being one of the more complicated projects I have done, I am happy to have added a few DIY skills in my skill set. Well, that was my latest journey in DIY’ing. Until next time…