I talk a lot about nutrition and health, so I figured I would add some healthy recipes to the site to give an idea of what I eat on a daily basis. This recipe for black beans uses an Instant Pot, which is a MUST if you want to increase legume intake (excellent source of fiber). Are you eating 20-30 grams of fiber a day?!?!? Beans are delicious, super duper cheap, filling, and a good source of protein.
This recipe will take about 10 minutes of preparation and 1 hour and 15 minutes to cook.
- 1 medium white (not sweet) onion
- 1 cup DRY black beans
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 small bay leaves
- Finely chop the onion and thinly slice the garlic (or press it if you feel up to it).
- Set your Instant Pot to the “Sauté” function and wait until it says “hot” or until a splash of water will sizzle.
- Add olive oil (optional) and sauté the onion and garlic until fragrant, about five minutes.
- Add the bay leaves and continue sautéing for another minute.
- Add the black beans and 2-3 cups of water.
- Add 2 cups if you want thicker beans (if you mash some of the beans they would be a refried texture)
- Add 3 cups if you want something closer to a black bean soup.
- Cook the beans for 50 minutes and leave pressurized for another 25 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Mash the beans (or use an immersion blender) if you want thick refried style beans.